Early Birds Program
Early Birds is a Smart Start Central Oklahoma partnership with Western Heights designed just for parents. This unique family-based, school readiness program arms you with information, activities and materials to use with your young child, supporting you as you give your child the smart start he needs and deserves. Each session includes “FREE” childcare for children up to 10 years age during the EARLY BIRDS classes.
WHY A SCHOOL READINESS PROGRAM?
The first five years are critical in preparing a child for school success, and we know that school readiness begins long before a child enters a classroom. Sadly, many Oklahoma County children enter school without the necessary skills needed to be successful. There is good news, though! Through purposeful play and making the most of everyday moments, a parent can promote school readiness skills in his or her child from the time the child is born!
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM AN EARLY BIRDS CLASS:
- 90 minutes of instruction led by a trained professional covering topics like child development, everyday learning opportunities, activities that promote school readiness, purposeful parenting techniques, and health and safety.
- Discussion with other parents about the successes and challenges of being their child’s first teacher
- Free toys and materials that foster school readiness at home
- Free notebook with more helpful resources, tips, and support to help your child learn and grow
- On-site child care so you can fully participate in the classes
Best of all, when you complete each Early Birds class, you will know how to play so your child will learn and develop skills that will give him or her future success in school and life!
Enrollment forms are available at the Western Heights enrollment center located on the west side (red door) of the Board of Education Office Building (8401 S.W. 44th Street) or the front office of your local elementary.
- October 19 – 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (Council Grove)(Prenatal – 5, English and Spanish)
- October 20 – 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (John Glenn)(Prenatal – 5, English)
- January 25, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (Council Grove)(Prenatal – 5, English and Spanish)
- January 26, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (John Glenn)(Prenatal – 5, English)
- April 12, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (Council Grove)(Prenatal – 5, English and Spanish)
- April 13, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm (John Glenn)(Prenatal – 5, English)
Classes will be held at:
Council Grove Elementary (7721 W. Melrose Lane)
John Glenn Elementary (6501 S Land Ave)
Makeup sessions are available if you miss your locally scheduled class. Visit the Smart Start Website for times and locations.
For More Information about Smart Start visit the website.